A huge part of the success of your e-commerce platform is the content itself. A lot of entrepreneurs may sometimes disregard this important aspect typically focusing on how their e-commerce looks like. How will it become appealing to the visitor’s eyes? What most tend to forget is that having engaging content that will also appeal to the readers’ liking or what the readers look for will most definitely increase your chances of traffic and leads. Here’s when meta description steals the spotlight.
What is SEO?
So let us start with the basics, SEO is the process of making changes to your site’s content in order to help it to show in different search engines. By doing so, you increase your chances of visibility organically and in un-paid search engine results.
To further understand how this happens, here’s how it happens. Search engines like Google scan your website. Basically what happens is, it looks over your site’s design and content elements to determine what type of topics it discusses. More so, how user-friendly your site is. This action is called “crawling”. This process helps search engines give more relevant and useful search results to the users.
What is a Meta Description?
A meta description is composed of 155-160 characters, content must be a summary that describes the content of your specific web page. In terms of SEO Optimization, this is your key ingredient to having increased traffic and conversions.
In general, meta description for your overall site as well as your product page is often the main factor that your potential customers look into and decide whether they will click through your page or not.
Keep in mind that your meta description must always be related to your:
- URL and page content
Furthermore, it should also be clear and engaging, it must easily catch your potential customer’s attention. Taking in great consideration a well written Call-to-action (CTA) on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) to consumers and enriching your average Click-through-rates (CTRs).
Another key point to remember is that a good amount of browse time and CTRs on your website means remarkable ranking overall.
How to write a Meta Description:
In writing a meta description for a specific web page, make sure to remember these 3 things:
- It must not exceed 155 characters – although, it is still okay if it cuts off midway through the overall content, double-check if the content that can be read by people is enough to make the readers want to click the page.
- Pay attention to your customers – your content must focus on how your products and/or services will make your potential customers’ lives better. Furthermore, your homepage must be presented in a way that your brand matches people’s needs and desires.
- Convey the right message and REPEAT – Once you can relay your message, you have to be able to convey the same message in every phrase or word choice you will be creating in each meta description.
In addition to the above-mentioned, note that the best practices involved in creating a good meta description are a lot similar to writing a great ad text. To further guide you in writing effectively in terms of a meta description, take note of the following:
- Make use of researched, targeted keywords in your meta description.
- Make sure these keywords are relevant to your content on each page. Do not use the same meta description on your web pages.
- Include the benefits and put a sense of urgency in your content.
- Content must appeal to the reader’s emotions.
- Make use of a SERP preview tool.
- Learn how to optimize your organic CTR.
Why is Meta Description Important for Your SEO
In a nutshell, a meta description is an HTML element that summarizes and describes the contents that can be found on each web page, this benefits both the users and the search engines. While meta descriptions are not as important for SEO rankings, it still plays a vital role in on-page SEO.
Furthermore, meta description tags also have a significant role in all your SEO efforts:
- Acts as “Organic ad text”. As your ad ranks for a keyword, Google engines often show a meta description as a summary of a webpage.
- Meta Description is as important as an “ad text”. An effective meta description will increase the “click-through rate” of your organic search. In other words, the more clicks on your website, the more traffic you will get, even if your ranking stays the same.
SEO Outsourcing Services from PrimeOutsourcing
If you are one of those people who are only beginning their SEO journey, it is quite expected that you’ll get a little overwhelmed about these facts about meta tags, specifically, meta descriptions. Having an SEO expert to guide you will surely help in improving the current SEO status of your website. However, it is an undeniable fact that an expert might be a little costly. SEO outsourcing is the answer to this. Prime Outsourcing offers affordable SEO Outsourcing services for every businessman or website owner like you. For more information, talk to us.